Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Barnes And Noble Nook - A Patient's Perspective

The Nook reader that my father-in-law has is the original Nook, not the NookColor. I sat down with him to find out first if he was using it and what features were helpful or not helpful in his desire to keep reading.

barnes and noble locations

1. Font Size

BARNES AND NOBLE

The Barnes and Noble Nook offers 6 font sizes. My father-in-law has it set at the largest font size which is sufficient for him to be able to read comfortably.

2. Anti-Glare Screen

I do a lot of reading on my Apple iPad so when I read from the Nook, I was amazed at the difference that an anti-glare screen provides. There is so much less strain on the eyes. The e-ink they use is like reading from a paper - there is no glare and this electronic book reader can be read in bright light.

3. Contrast

The letters and words were very crisp and clear. Contrast can be adjusted to one of 16 different levels of a gray scale.

4. Navigation

One would think that the touch screen navigation would be an easy way to use the ebook reader. However my father-in-law still had trouble finding his books and library even after several times of reviewing this with him. As with all electronic book readers, the Nook will automatically go to the last page that was read. So as long as he was reading just that one book and not trying to find his other books, he was fine.

5. Screen Size

When I showed him my Apple iPad and had him read from this ebook reader, he did prefer the larger screen size. The Apple iPad screen is 9.7" diagonal and the original Nook is 6" diagonal.

6. Return Policy

My father-in-law will be keeping his Nook. He can read from it which is exciting, but will he, I am not sure. The return policy at this time with Barnes and Noble is that it can be returned within 14 days - so if you are buying it for someone else be sure to have them try it right away or even better take them to a store to try it.

The new ebook reader technology is great for those with macular degeneration, but how much the older senior population will adapt to it for their reading is uncertain. To learn more about the features of this electronic book reader go to:

Barnes And Noble Nook - A Patient's Perspective

BARNES AND NOBLE

0 comments:

Post a Comment